Wednesday, October 3, 2012

My Reading List


I am a voracious reader. With nearly 1,000 books in my personal library I almost always have something to read. On my lazy days it's not uncommon to find me reclining on my couch with a book.

Currently, I've been reading several books dealing with recent political issues. A few months ago I finished a few books on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. I read Ian Bickerton's excellent book The Arab-Israeli Conflict: A Guide for the Perplexed, then immediately after finishing that book I dove into Noam Chomsky's Fateful Triangle: The United States, Israel, and the Palestinians.

After these books I read a book about vote fraud titled Votescam: The Stealing of America, by James M. Collier and Kenneth F. Collier. It wasn't a bad book. It was well written, but as I mention in my review of the book I wasn't particularly convinced by their entire case. I plan on looking into the matter of vote fraud in more detail since history (especially recent history) is littered with accusations of vote fraud. I have a book about the history of vote fraud in America by Tracy Campbell titled Deliver the Vote: A History of Election Fraud, an American Political Tradition-1742-2004 that I plan on reading sometime in the near future.

Just last week I bought and finished Kurt Eichenwald's over 500 page history of the events that took place after the September 11th attacks titled 500 Days: Secrets and Lies in the Terror Wars. It was fantastic.

Now, I'm reading a book about Karl Rove by Craig Unger called Boss Rove: Inside Karl Rove's Secret Kingdom of Power. I'm only a few chapters in and so far I'm unsure of what to think. After reading the page turner that was 500 Days this book seems lackluster by comparison. Don't get me wrong. Unger's book has been very good, and he seems to have done some fabulous research, but after reading the gripping narrative in 500 Days this book isn't doing much for me, so I'm considering coming back to it later on. Perhaps before getting into Boss Rove I'll read the next book on my list first: Subversives: The FBI's War on Student Radicals, and Reagan's Rise to Power by Seth Rosenfeld. I've already read the first chapter just to get a feel for the author's writing style and it looks like it will be very good. I found out about this book (like many other books I've been buying lately) after watching the author discuss his book on Democracy Now. Rosenfeld's revelations about Ronald Reagan and the FBI were both fascinating and terrifying.

After finishing these books I'm undecided what I want to read next. I have several books I've bought over the span of the last year and want to read them. I often buy books in bulk that look interesting and I put them on my shelves to read them at a later date. My reading habits shift quickly. One minute I'm reading about political issues, when after a few books on that issue I begin to get bored with that topic and I switch to another, like history. I'm considering reading A.J Otway-Ruthven's A History of Medieval Ireland (1968). It's about the nearly 1,000 year anarchy in Medieval Ireland, which I learned about from reading Murray Rothbard's The Libertarian Manifesto and Francois Tremblay's "But Who Will Build The Roads?": Market Anarchy Explained. I've already read one book on the issue but it didn't explain much about the society as a whole. It mostly discussed the Christian religion and the Irish church in Ireland. There was a little good information but not much. I've read one chapter in Otway-Ruthven's book already and it looks much more detailed. I'm looking forward to reading it.

If anyone has any books they would like to recommend I add to my ever expanding book collection please contact me. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for considering to leave a comment. I highly value both positive and negative feedback but please abide by my comment policy at all times. If this is not done your comment may end up getting deleted. If you wish to leave a comment I usually respond to all of them, so if you'd like to begin a discussion please check back to see if I've responded.

If you'd like to subscribe to the comments you can find the links to do so along the right side of my blog.

Thanks.