Saturday, November 3, 2012

The Untold History of the United States



The Untold History of the United States. This is the title to the new 615 page book (not including notes, credits, and index) and the soon to be broadcast ten-part documentary series on Showtime by writer/director Oliver Stone and historian Peter Kuznick. I just received the book a few days ago and have only been able to read the first two chapters on World War I and F.D.R. and the New Deal, but from the looks of it I think it will be a good read.

In the same vein as Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States, this book's aim is to educate readers about the side of U.S. history that has either been forgotten or glossed over with feel-good propaganda. The book covers the 20th Century, beginning with World War I and ending with Barack Obama's last four years in office.

I'm looking forward to reading more of this book, and I like the fact that if you combine A People's History of the United States and The Untold History of the United States you have an impressive up to the minute history. I decided to buy the book because of this, and because I read from the publisher's website that the authors dove into the “latest archival findings and recently declassified documents and building on the research of the world’s best scholars” in order to write this book, and I was curious what they supposedly found. I'm also curious what the authors have to say about Obama since from what I've read he doesn't come out great (knowing what he's done the last four years I'm not surprised).

The documentary of the same name as the companion book is set to be broadcast this November on the 12th. I got rid of my movie channels about a year ago to help save money but I bought Showtime again just to watch the documentary. I'm looking forward to watching the series and I'm curious what controversies it might stir up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for considering to leave a comment. I highly value both positive and negative feedback but please abide by my comment policy at all times. If this is not done your comment may end up getting deleted. If you wish to leave a comment I usually respond to all of them, so if you'd like to begin a discussion please check back to see if I've responded.

If you'd like to subscribe to the comments you can find the links to do so along the right side of my blog.

Thanks.